Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Humble Beginnings - A Dollhouse Miniature Basket Tutorial


Hello Dear Readers!
It's been a long day but I finally have some time to get the basket tutorial posted here for you.
This basket has very humble beginnings - *grin* it is made from a toilet deodorizer container. A NEW one, hahaha, not used. I took out the deodorizer cake and put it in netting and set it on a paper towel in the cabinet in the bathroom...the cabinet under the sink that always smells musty. I buy these at the dollar store, they are very cheap and you can get two baskets from one deodorizer.



You will need:
  • An Empty Toilet Deodorizer as pictured below

  • Fine Hemp Twine or Linen Cord - I chose a dark brown for this basket
  • Side Cutters or Kitchen Scissors for Cutting the Spokes
  • Glue
  • Paint in your color choice. Testors or other brand plastic model paint or spray paint made for plastic are best but you can use stain or acrylic paint if that's what you have.

  • Step One

    Pull the deodorizer apart...you now have two basket bases.


  • Step Two
Cut the ring from the top of the deodorizer basket.
  • Step Three
Begin your basket weave...over and under, over and under. Leave a short tail and keep your weaving tight.

Keep going....over and under, over and under...



Once you have obtained the depth you are happy with, run a bead of glue around the top of your basket. Let dry. Next, clip the spokes as close to the weaving as you can...Don't accidentally snip your weave!


Now lay down a bead of glue and coil the linen/hemp around the top of the basket to hide the spokes and finish off the top. Clamp and let dry. I apologize, i forgot to take a photo of this step but I simply coiled the cord around the top two times and allowed to dry.

Next, I painted the basket with a deep brown.


And you're done! Easy Peasey!

Hope this tutorial was helpful :)

26 comments:

  1. So smart! I'll have to keep my eyes out for these so I can give them a try:) Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que fantastica quedo la canastita. Es un maravilloso reciclado!! Me encanta!!
    Saludos. Beatriz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your amazing....loving these tutorials. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a clever idea! I will surely give this a try! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is really clever :-), never have thought of such a trick! Thank you for sharing!!! Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure I can find these here but I'll try looking. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Thank you for sharing.
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know that these were precisely the cages that I had thought yesterday when I saw the other tutorials? You are a source of brilliant ideas, I really love this basket!
    kisses
    MelyG

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn´t know your blog, I´m happy I found it, it´s wonderful, I love it. Thanks for sharing tutorials and your lovely work. Hugs. Blanca

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are Genius!I love this idea!
    I run to buy the material!
    Love
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful! The result is amazing! :D
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this great idea. I will be looking out for these. Your basket is fantastic. Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marvelous! I love trash to treasure. And, when you first cut the basket, it looks like it would make a great plastic laundry bin! I have a real life one in red just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This seems like a helpful tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
    Nice looking blog:) Great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very very helpful! :):) Thank you for so generously sharing all these tips with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It´s perfect. Thank you for this tutorial. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic tutorial and end result! Thank you!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful idea. Monday I must look for a Topilet Deodorizer. Hugs from Craftland

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, thank you for this tutorial! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. you are really clever...looks so nice the little basket!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heel slim idee, dank je wel
    groetjes Willy

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments!